Author Topic: Classification  (Read 195 times)

Offline Blue_Heron

• Dave Williams
    • View Profile
Classification
« on: Tue Oct 31 2017, 8:02 PM »
Hi,
I'm a noob here, but not a novice at AutoX.  I've been racing with FAST AutoX out of Tampa for two years. They have simplified classing rules, so I don't know where to start with the SCCA rules.  Here's my car:

2001 Miata with the following mods
*  Kraftwerks Rotrex SC kit
*  Tien Flex Coilovers
*  3.9 Torsen swap
*  Forged rods and pistons
*  Used Hoosier R7 race tires (heat cycled, but still fun)

I'm not worried about being competitive, the car is faster than I am.  But I want to register for the Nov. 11 event, and I want to avoid a hassle on event day by registering in the right class.

Thanks,
Dave 

Offline GTB/ZR-1

• Global Moderator
    • George Bonafede
    • View Profile
Re: Classification
« Reply #1 on: Tue Oct 31 2017, 9:02 PM »
SSM--have fun!

Offline zirfJ

• Jay Frizzell
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thu Jan 18 2018, 4:29 PM »
Hey, Getting back into doing some autoX events and was interested in where my basically stock MK7 Golf R fit. The only 'mod' so far is new rubber (Michelin PS4S) + wheels (same diameter as stock but .5 wider). I have read through the SCCA Appendix A - Auto classifications and I believe I'd be in the BS category but was wondering if the new tires would that put me in STU?

Thoughts appreciated.

Offline bforster

• Brandon Forster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Fri Jan 19 2018, 7:33 PM »
Hey, Getting back into doing some autoX events and was interested in where my basically stock MK7 Golf R fit. The only 'mod' so far is new rubber (Michelin PS4S) + wheels (same diameter as stock but .5 wider). I have read through the SCCA Appendix A - Auto classifications and I believe I'd be in the BS category but was wondering if the new tires would that put me in STU?

Thoughts appreciated.

Nope, 200 TW is the limit for street. Your tires are fine, well above the limit for street. In fact, you'd be well served with a more aggressive tire.

Your problem is the wheels. You have to have stock wheels for the street class. As you suspected, you'd end up in Street Touring. If you've still got your stock wheels lying around, it might be worthwhile to get an aggressive, low treadlife tire on those for autocross (like Bridgestone RE71Rs or BFG Rivals S 1.5) and keep your PS4S on these new wheels for daily driving.