Author Topic: Is an SCCA membership required?  (Read 1203 times)

Offline ojannen

• Jeremiah H
    • View Profile
Is an SCCA membership required?
« on: Thu Apr 30 2015, 11:08 PM »
A friend and I are thinking about going to the autocross in Sebring on May 2.  We are both new to autocross and would be running in the novice class.  I am trying to figure out what kind of membership is needed to attend a MSCC event.

I joined the SCCA a few weeks ago.  I have my member number but I don't have an id card yet.  My friend is still relying on one day SCCA memberships to compete in events.  Can we both run?

Offline GTB/ZR-1

• Global Moderator
    • George Bonafede
    • View Profile
Re: Is an SCCA membership required?
« Reply #1 on: Fri May 01 2015, 6:17 AM »
No membership is required to run w/ us. We're an independent club, so no need to worry abt your SCCA membership card arriving in time ;-)

Offline ParadoxD

• Administrator
    • Travis Turner
    • View Profile
    • MSCC Official Website
« Reply #2 on: Fri May 01 2015, 2:36 PM »
I think I see where the confusion is - we follow the SCCA solo rules (primarily because it's just easier that way), but we are in no way affiliated with them.  MSCC has its own membership, but you are not required to be a member to run.

Hope to see you out there!

1991 BMW 325i (DSP) - 2015 Scion FR-S (CS)

Offline ojannen

• Jeremiah H
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Fri May 01 2015, 5:16 PM »
Thanks for the help.  We are going to try to make it out tomorrow.

The confusing document is the sample event registration form located here: http://www.martinscc.org/files/3814/3033/8278/Event_Registration_Form.pdf

At the bottom it says, "Non-members must be a guest of a current MSCC or resident SCCA member to compete.".

Offline ParadoxD

• Administrator
    • Travis Turner
    • View Profile
    • MSCC Official Website
« Reply #4 on: Fri May 01 2015, 7:11 PM »
Never even knew that was on there, and I don't know why it is.  If that was ever a rule, it certainly isn't enforced.  We welcome everyone with open arms!

Offline ojannen

• Jeremiah H
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tue May 05 2015, 2:03 PM »
I made it out to Sebring on Saturday.  The staff was friendly and the novice instructor did a great job with the walkthrough and in car tips.  The field was small enough that we were able to get 12 runs in.  A big thank you goes out to everyone involved.

Offline ParadoxD

• Administrator
    • Travis Turner
    • View Profile
    • MSCC Official Website
« Reply #6 on: Thu May 07 2015, 5:20 PM »
You are most welcome Jeremiah!  Hope you can come out to more events!

You did an awesome job shaving off the seconds throughout the day.  It was a great event for seat time - you probably got 3 regular events worth of runs in a single day, lol

The E28 was my first BMW, so it'll always hold a special place in my heart.  I don't think I've seen another one out there before, so that was fun to watch. :)