Author Topic: Rule clarifications  (Read 1298 times)

Offline trikchop

• travis s
    • View Profile
Rule clarifications
« on: Mon May 11 2015, 9:20 PM »
Some rule clarification, evidently yall (whoever was at tech) told Jace that he can't run ssm with out a roll bar. Which he had. Ssm doesn't require a roll bar.
 Also bob doucher protested my dad for have non dot rated tires( I think this was his gripe) although his tire are much slower than bobs Hoosiers bob was too much of a sissy to let dad run ssm.
 Isn't their a class he can run for fun? Don't we have a fun class we can run if your car doesn't fit into the scca template? I thought we did in case someone showed up with a v8 Miata that didn't have a roll bar.

Offline 00TORCHCOUPE

• Board Member
    • Mikael Edstrom
    • View Profile
Re: Rule clarifications
« Reply #1 on: Tue May 12 2015, 2:03 PM »
Travis,

I am not sure the best place to go over this is in the open forum.  If you would like to contact me, I believe you have my number.

Mikael
Mikael Edstrom

Offline trikchop

• travis s
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tue May 12 2015, 2:21 PM »
I'll try to call you after work Mikael. But I don't see why we have to be secretive over who is protesting what. And what the actual rules are. I don't think that makes it more fun at all.

Offline 00TORCHCOUPE

• Board Member
    • Mikael Edstrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tue May 12 2015, 4:42 PM »
I was trying to be nice and not splatter the violation for both clubs on a public forum.

The car is not LEGAL for SCCA either, as we are running their rules.  The problem, which is solved really easy with your car is that you need to install a rollbar (make sure it complies with scca guidelines.)  We don't need to be calling anyone names for pointing out rules violations, and it was a very blatant one to see.  I am shocked that it passed scca last time.  You need DOT tires to run in street mod classes, and you need a rollbar at a minimum to run in prepared classes or in mod classes with any open vehicle (convertible).  I would keep the tires (as Karl told me how cheap they are) and just put a rollbar in the miata.  It is that simple. With the amount of racing you guys do, I would think you would want one. The other thing you have to look at now is the weight of the car.  As per rules, when you added a supercharger to the car, you add 1.4l to your existing 1.6 or 1.8.  For every liter, you add 200 lbs to the 1600 lbs base, so your car, depending on which motor you have in it, needs to weigh between 2200 and 2240 at a minimum, without a driver for it to be street mod legal.  I hate it when you start making me read the rules in detail.  :-\  You may not be eligible for the street mod classes anyways, those tires or not.

As far as the other driver, I have no idea.  I have emailed Bob to see if he can shed some light.  It is the first I heard of it.

And MSCC does not have a fun class (anymore), and that wouldn't change being able to run in it.  The car  would still need to pass safety rules, which it does not (because of the slicks) and where that puts it.
« Last Edit: Tue May 12 2015, 4:45 PM by 00TORCHCOUPE »
Mikael Edstrom

Offline trikchop

• travis s
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wed May 13 2015, 1:00 AM »
Yeah Mikael it's 2240 minus 200 lbs if your on 275 mm tires or smaller. Pretty sure we're way over that. Appreciate your concerns tho

Offline vipertgb

• Trevor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wed May 13 2015, 5:34 PM »
I could rant about how incredibly lame it is to protest someone with slower tires than you for paragraphs, but I'd rather not. I do however really want to say that if the tire truly has less grip than what is possible in the class then by the powers of science and logic there is no safety issue on a dry track.

On the note of protesting others, instead of ruining another racer's weekend, why not try talking with them about some sort of compromise/agreement. e.g. make the offending driver have a 200lb+ passenger for every run.

Offline 00TORCHCOUPE

• Board Member
    • Mikael Edstrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thu May 14 2015, 8:40 AM »
There is no reason to rant.  We have adopted the rules and the rules state those classes require a DOT tire, period.   It has nothing to do with whether the tire is faster or not.  Some tires might be, some tires might not be.  Depends on conditions, which tires they are, etc. 

Travis, my point on the weight is that if you are close, a rollbar would help with that as well, so the car would be eligible for those sm classes as well if you were under. 

Karel was made aware of the violation first thing in the morning (7:30am or so).  We as a club are always pretty friendly, and securing a codrive on a last minute thing usually isn't a problem which he did.

The problem is that backhand deals are not allowed.  How, would you know what was fair anyways?  When I have my corvette out, it makes NO difference whether I have a 200lb passenger or not.   See the problem?  And here two people in class make a back hand deal, and the person takes top time of the day, which effects the whole pool of drivers, not just in class. 

The bigger point for everyone to take from this situation is that look at the rules and see when you do something, what it effects, and lastly don't blast someone for pointing out that the rules aren't being followed.
Mikael Edstrom

Offline trikchop

• travis s
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thu May 14 2015, 7:26 PM »
Bob is just being a dick to be a dick Michael. You know it. If you think that's fun to keep my old man from racing i think your pretty screwed up in the head.
 I never protested bob when he was running his Miata in csp and wasn't legal. I don't understand why you guys don't tell him to stfu when he wants to hit someone over the head with the rulebook