Author Topic: Teen driver rules  (Read 1011 times)

Offline GTR69

• Jim
    • View Profile
Teen driver rules
« on: Mon Jun 22 2015, 3:39 PM »
Hey Guys,

Where do I find the current official prerequisites to allow a teen driver to participate in a MSCC event?

My 16 year-old daughter has her out-of-state permit but had not yet acquired the prerequisite 75 hours for her local Street Survival course a few months ago. She'll be here for the month of July but there aren't any Street Survival classes in the area that month.

If the July MSCC event (has the date been released?) meshes with our schedule and she meets the requirements I'd like to have her participate just for additional car control training. The car she would be driving is undetermined at the moment.

Thanks!

Jim

Offline ParadoxD

• Administrator
    • Travis Turner
    • View Profile
    • MSCC Official Website
Re: Teen driver rules
« Reply #1 on: Tue Jun 23 2015, 11:56 AM »
Jim,

July's event is on the 12th and will be at Lake Tech.  As for driving requirements, I believe she would have to have a valid driver's license.  I'm not sure that learner's permits are sufficient or not.  It's not so much a club rules thing as it is an event insurance thing.

I know that's not much help, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable on the subject will chime in.

1991 BMW 325i (DSP) - 2015 Scion FR-S (CS)

Offline GTR69

• Jim
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tue Jun 23 2015, 12:57 PM »
I wasn't sure if MSCC used the SCCA section 4.1 rules to qualify entrants. I'd certainly require her to have an instructor or myself with her in the front passenger seat on all runs, and she might even be more comfortable with it not being me. This is all conjecture at the moment, however.

Offline 00TORCHCOUPE

• Board Member
    • Mikael Edstrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thu Jun 25 2015, 1:47 PM »
I am not sure what you mean by an out of state permit.  Learners or full?   One has to have a full license and be 16 to drive a car at our events.  Karts are different.  We adopted SCCA classing rules not the rest of the rules, so I don't know what the scca allows.  I hear you about not riding with your daughter.  Generally, if my daughters requested a ride along, I get one of our many wonderful instructors to do that.
Mikael Edstrom

Offline GTR69

• Jim
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thu Jun 25 2015, 3:06 PM »
By out of state permit I mean the permit was provided by her home state of Missouri, not Florida. They have an instructional permit, an intermediate license, and a full license. Oh well, it was worth a shot, thanks  :)

http://dor.mo.gov/drivers/teens/gradlaw.php

Offline 00TORCHCOUPE

• Board Member
    • Mikael Edstrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mon Jun 29 2015, 4:14 PM »
It is the same system in Florida now, except they don't call it any different.  Here, you must hold the restricted license for 1 year before applying for the full license.  However, teens, even with full license, have restrictions on the hours they are allowed to drive, as the intermediate one does in Missouri.  We have had this discussion in our club before and restricted licenses don't cut it.  One must be able to drive by oneself, so the intermediate one would be okay.
Mikael Edstrom