Author Topic: Lightly modified 2013 Fiat Abarth, class?  (Read 2621 times)

Offline ericcwatts

• Eric Watts
    • View Profile
Lightly modified 2013 Fiat Abarth, class?
« on: Tue Jul 28 2015, 3:02 PM »
Hello,

I have run in the past in GS class in my completely stock Abarth. I now have an aftermarket air intake on it, am I still in GS or another class now? Thats the only change I've made. Thanks.

-Eric

Offline GTB/ZR-1

• Global Moderator
    • George Bonafede
    • View Profile
Re: Lightly modified 2013 Fiat Abarth, class?
« Reply #1 on: Wed Jul 29 2015, 6:50 AM »
STF or the SMST2 shark tank, if you're so inclined.

Offline ericcwatts

• Eric Watts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wed Jul 29 2015, 12:52 PM »
Ok, thanks!

Offline MRSIDEWAYS

• Ian Stewart
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wed Jul 29 2015, 1:30 PM »
Or SMF OR corresponding Street Prepared class. (would guess FSP). Both of which are better options then SMST2.
I'm not sure about STF. I'd need to research that a bit.

*edit*
Just looked the Fiat Abarth goes to STS
« Last Edit: Wed Jul 29 2015, 1:39 PM by MRSIDEWAYS »
I now drive a car that won't get sideways.

Offline GTB/ZR-1

• Global Moderator
    • George Bonafede
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wed Jul 29 2015, 1:53 PM »
*edit*
Just looked the Fiat Abarth goes to STS

My bad! Don't know FWD cars very well lol.

Offline ericcwatts

• Eric Watts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wed Jul 29 2015, 4:41 PM »
Ok so, STS or FSP? My car could run in either of those?

Thanks again!

Offline MRSIDEWAYS

• Ian Stewart
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wed Jul 29 2015, 5:29 PM »
Let me double check the Street Prepared class to see if it's FSP or DSP.

*edit*
found in the rule book it looks like it goes to DSP. Says Abarth 2012-2013... My guess is they haven't updated the book for the 14's and 15's. Your's being a 13 it is for sure DSP. So Travis and Justin just got someone in their class.

Unfortunatly your not even close to modified enough to be in any of those classes. I don't want t be mean, but take the intake off and go back to Street. On modern MAF cars most mods yield lost HP. I know all the modern Mini's if you mod em they get slower unless you have accompanied tuning with em. My Volvo is the same way, anyone who has modded it has documented to have made it slower. Step one, hack ECU, Step 2 mod.  I just put an exhaust on the Volvo and I paid extra money to get one with a small pipe diameter (same as OEM) that didn't flow any more air then stock. I wanted it for the 25lbs of weight savings.
« Last Edit: Wed Jul 29 2015, 5:36 PM by MRSIDEWAYS »

Offline ericcwatts

• Eric Watts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thu Jul 30 2015, 9:35 AM »
Edit then: I have an ECU tune/remap already that is tuned to work with the intake, sorry forgot to mention that. I was simply thinking physical modifications. So yeah, no its for sure faster with the intake now.

This is what I have on the car:

http://www.abarthonly.com/store/p26/Moretti_Motor_Company_FIAT_500_Abarth_Performance_OBD_Port_Tune_.html

Offline MRSIDEWAYS

• Ian Stewart
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thu Jul 30 2015, 12:35 PM »
If it had any effect on boost then your not STS legal. STS states that you may change Ignition and mixture but you can't make any changes that effect boost (ie you can't make any power). So your DSP, SMF, or SMST2.

Offline ericcwatts

• Eric Watts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Thu Jul 30 2015, 1:27 PM »
Ok, thats fine. DSP, SMF or SMST2 are my options.  Yeah the car makes like +/- 40 hp more than stock now and the tune increases boost pressure. Thanks for your help, I plan to run at the OCCC event in August.

Offline CW GTI

• Jason Phillips
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thu Jul 30 2015, 10:18 PM »
Did you ever get any good tires, Eric? They're a huge help...

Offline vipertgb

• Trevor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Fri Jul 31 2015, 5:51 AM »
Depending on your tune, it might actually make u slower in autoX. When I had intake + tune (~+25hp) it was impossible to modulate the throttle because boost would be at 100% or 0%, there wasn't really an in between. It kept causing me to understeer terribly in turnarounds and on corner exit.

+1 on good tires.

Offline ericcwatts

• Eric Watts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Fri Jul 31 2015, 1:40 PM »
No, I haven't bought/invested in any autoX sticky tires. I just don't do it often enough at the moment. I have too many hobbies! Between this and motorcycles I spend my share of money! As for if the tune will make me slower? I don't know until I run an event first plus thats not the reason I got the tune, it makes the car overall more fun to drive, its not a car I'm tuning for autoX so. In the end I don't really care. I am curious to see how I will do in another class. In GS I have been beat by Ford Focus STs everytime, like without fail.

Offline MRSIDEWAYS

• Ian Stewart
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Fri Jul 31 2015, 1:57 PM »
I took my Volvo to 3rd place at Nationals in GS last year. I got to borrow a Abarth at the GRM challenge. At my first lap in the Abarth I think I said out loud. This isn't even fair against the volvo. In encourage abarth owners to write in. If the Fiesta ST goes to HS, then the Abarth should to. Because after driving Ian's Fiesta ST I felt it was closer to the Volvo then the Abarth was and the Fiesta was still like 1.5 seconds slower. It's not a GS car.

Offline CW GTI

• Jason Phillips
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Fri Jul 31 2015, 4:16 PM »
I've been tempted to write in for awhile (I drive the other grey Abarth, with Z2s on the front), but I figured moving down to HS might actually be worse. Month after month of being listed below(and an eternity behind) Robert Palmblad...I'm content to stay in GS, and continue to be psyched when I can stay within a second of the fast cars..