Author Topic: Is there a rule on up classing?  (Read 1010 times)

Offline TheOriginalMiataBoy

• Kevin
    • View Profile
Is there a rule on up classing?
« on: Thu Oct 08 2015, 4:34 PM »
Like the title says I'm curious and have heard a few different things, is there a rule against up classing yourself? For example my Miata is classed in STR could I class myself as CSP?

Offline MrCarDriver

• P
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a rule on up classing?
« Reply #1 on: Thu Oct 08 2015, 5:46 PM »
It doesn't look like you can up class.

Per Section 5.0 Classification Categories of the Martin Sports Car Club rule book and awards 2015:

"Also note that a vehicle may only run in a class for which that vehicle is specifically allowed."

Offline ParadoxD

• Administrator
    • Travis Turner
    • View Profile
    • MSCC Official Website
« Reply #2 on: Fri Oct 09 2015, 11:12 AM »
The key words are "specifically allowed".  If his car is STR legal, chances are it is also CSP legal, and if so, he is allowed to run in that class if he so chooses.

1991 BMW 325i (DSP) - 2015 Scion FR-S (CS)

Offline BobsterS

• Bob Blucher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sun Oct 11 2015, 8:45 PM »
I don't  really like this rule and it is very vague.  If you have a Street car, you can't bump yourself into Prepared.  But we have SMST which you can run St, St Prep, ST, SM, SSM.  I run my Miata in CSP, SSM, DP and SMST2.  In the SCCA rule book it tells you what lower class mods can be made and are legal for the higher class.  Our intent for the rule is to keep someone from stacking their class with extra cars just for the points.

So with a quick look at the SCCA rule book I found this: Cars listed as eligible in and prepared to the current Street Touring® category rules are permitted to compete in their respective Street Prepared
classes, with the additional allowance that they may use any tire which meets the requirements of 15.3 and fits on the Street Touring® compliant wheels and within the Street Touring® compliant bodywork.

So you are good to go.

Offline 00TORCHCOUPE

• Board Member
    • Mikael Edstrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wed Oct 21 2015, 9:50 AM »
The rule is designed to prevent an HS car from competing in AP.  It does not prevent you from running sp, etc because you don't have the mods.  Your car has to follow where your car would bump, if that makes sense.

As for rules that are up for vote:

1:  Get rid of smst and smst4

2:  Get rid of smst and smst4 and replace them with smst, ssmst, and smfst following rules associated with sm, ssm, and smf with the scca, except of course the tire allowance.

Mikael Edstrom