Author Topic: Classification - Not April Fool's joke  (Read 268 times)

Offline JettaGLi16v

• B
    • View Profile
Classification - Not April Fool's joke
« on: Sat Apr 01 2017, 12:43 PM »
Hello, all!

I used to show up in my 20 year old Audi S6, and get my rear whooped my the really fast guys in SMST4.

I'm trying a new approach that I think might work.

I'll be driving a 1981 VW Rabbit Pickup. The car is modified: Full suspension, brakes, and a VW Turbo Diesel engine, with the factory boost raised from 12 to 18. The engine is bone stock. Don't worry, the injection pump is not modified, so she barely smokes even under full throttle. Street tires, of course.

I would Assume I could be in a modified FWD class? Should I just get classed like a regular VW Rabbit (77-84), with some mods?

Thanks in advance! I would love to get there next weekend if I can!
-Brad

Offline SSwartz

• Scott Swartz
    • View Profile
Re: Classification - Not April Fool's joke
« Reply #1 on: Sun Apr 02 2017, 3:58 PM »
Your best bet is to go through the SCCA classifications here:  http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/scca/downloads/000/019/744/2017-02-27-appendix-A-automobile-classes.pdf?1488213030

Or to just run SMST2 which is a MSCC only class.  This is the catch all class that most people run if they have modified their car and want competition.  I am no expert, but upping the boost  "I think" takes you out of the "Street Touring" classes.  I am in a "stock street" class, so I am not up on the details.  But others here are. SMST2 is a very fast class, but at least you will not be running alone, which you probably would be if you selected a "Mod" class, assuming that is where you would otherwise go.  When you show up to race,  "someone" with a turbo'd car will probably know if you cannot decipher the SCCA rules.  Good Luck!  :)

Offline ParadoxD

• Administrator
    • Travis Turner
    • View Profile
    • MSCC Official Website
« Reply #2 on: Mon Apr 03 2017, 12:20 AM »
Increasing boost pressure would put you no less than street prepared.  Section 15.4.f reads:

Boost regulation systems, either electronic or mechanical, and electronic
fuel cuts referencing boost pressure may be altered or modified
except as prohibited herein. Boost pressure changes resulting
from authorized changes are permitted.

In your case, you'd be in FSP as far as I can tell.  That's assuming the engine comes stock in your vehicle - if it doesn't, you're looking at Street Modified.

1991 BMW 325i (DSP) - 2015 Scion FR-S (CS)

Offline JettaGLi16v

• B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mon Apr 03 2017, 8:52 AM »
Thanks, Scott and Travis.

SMST2 it is, then.... (unfortunately).

The engine is not original to the car, as it was never sold in the US.

Well, I think she's handling pretty well, and I have a lot more experience in FWD VW's, so I'll just give it a go and see how she does.

Thanks!

Offline N8

• Board Member
    • Nate Adair
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wed Apr 05 2017, 4:46 PM »
The engine swap is what puts you out of Street Prepared and into Street Modified territory. Even then, there are some engine swap limits for SM which you'll have to determine. You know what you have better than we do.

SMF would also be an option if you didn't want to run street tires. It's not that well subscribed though. SMST2 is still a very fast class, with the winner usually in the top five raw times if not FTD.

SMST2 is for cars that would normally run in SM, but are two-wheel drive and on 200tw tires.
SMST4 is the same, but AWD.

I hear the SM classes being referred to as a catch all a lot, but there are still limits to the mods allowed and aren't anything goes. Here are the Street Modified Rules for reference:
http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/scca/downloads/000/019/014/2017-01-17-section-16-street-modified-category.pdf?1484692739

Offline JettaGLi16v

• B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wed Apr 05 2017, 5:13 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, Nate.

Truth be told, if I don't go off course, and improve a little every run, I consider it a great day at the autocross.

It's just frustrating because I pay a significant penalty because I am only interested in older cars. I understand the rules are there to put people in similar classes relative to the car, but I was driving a 20 year old, ~4000# Audi, in a class with mostly new STi / EVO's. I have no chance whatsoever at being competitive in that class, unless I get over 500 HP.

Unfortunately, after reading the link you posted (thank you!), It seems it's even worse for the truck.
>>
Engine block (or housings of rotary engines) must be a production unit manufactured  and  badged  the  same  as  the  original  standard  or  optional engine for that model
>>

My car has a Canadian engine from a 1995 Golf. It was never offered in a 1978-1983 VW Rabbit Pickup. So, the way I read the rule book, I will be in some crazy class where I could just as well put an LS1 in there. But I have 100HP!

I'm just trying to have fun, and work on being a better driver, and I'm not interested in buying a car just for AutoX at this moment. Not to mention, I enjoy bringing out some cars that are a bit different than the standard fare you guys see all the time!

I'll plow through the rule books again. I guess I am a Rabbit, as they list NOC (not otherwise classed) sub models as that model, and the Rabbit Pickup is curiously not on the list.... I'll completely forego any attempt to be classed with things close to my speed level, and if I'm racing Z06 corvettes with my 100Hp 4 cyl diesel engine, so be it....

Thanks again!!

Offline ParadoxD

• Administrator
    • Travis Turner
    • View Profile
    • MSCC Official Website
« Reply #6 on: Wed Apr 05 2017, 6:18 PM »
VW Pickup is listed in the FSP appendix on the same line as several other models, which through update/backdate I think you can swap engines between them. Unfortunately it doesn't look like a 95 golf is one of them, and an out of domestic market swap is probably prohibited (I'm not certain) unless it was offered in one of these as an option.

Rabbit, Jetta, Scirocco, Cabriolet,
& Pickup (all, A1 chassis)
(1975-92)
« Last Edit: Wed Apr 05 2017, 6:32 PM by ParadoxD »

1991 BMW 325i (DSP) - 2015 Scion FR-S (CS)

Offline JettaGLi16v

• B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thu Apr 06 2017, 4:57 PM »
Thanks again, Travis.

No, basically, my engine is two generations later than the car, and never sold in the US in any form. It was only a ROW engine.

It's all good, I'm just going to stop worrying about a class that I could be competitive in, and just go out to have fun.

It's so cool that you guys are going to Kim Wu tonight for the meeting. That place is the best. When I hit my first MSCC AutoX, (back at Lockheed - Driving my 91 Jetta GLi 16v), it was 1997 or so, I was in high school, and working at the Pinch-A-Penny next door. Funny how things come full circle!

Hope to see you guys on Sunday!
-Brad