Author Topic: C Street BRZ alignment settings?  (Read 624 times)

Offline Ricta41

• Chris Schneider
    • View Profile
C Street BRZ alignment settings?
« on: Sun Aug 14 2016, 9:06 PM »
Hey guys, so I think it's about time to have the car aligned as I don't know as if it's ever been touched from the factory. (I haven't had one done in my 7k miles of ownership and I don't think the lady that owned the car before me did either) It's a 2013 BRZ, stock shocks/struts, springs, sway bars, and I am currently running on 245/40/17 BF Goodrich Rival S' (some day switching to RE71-R's but still undecided on if 225's or 245's) that have been through a lot of heat cycles and a few track days so I know I will be on the hunt for tires in the near future, but to the point. I know these cars can be naturally camber challenged on the stock strut setup and that the rear is nonadjustable but anyone have any input as to what I should shoot for in the front? I have access to an alignment rack so I can dial in whatever setup I can mechanically get. I know negative camber helps with turn in responsiveness but aside from that I don't know too much for a lefty righty alignment (I come from a drag racing background so I know how to make a car go straight, I'm still new at all this turning stuff lol) Any input is appreciated and welcomed. Thanks in advance

Offline ParadoxD

• Administrator
    • Travis Turner
    • View Profile
    • MSCC Official Website
Re: C Street BRZ alignment settings?
« Reply #1 on: Mon Aug 15 2016, 12:14 PM »
Hi Chris,

I don't know if the camber is even adjustable in stock form, but if it is you won't get much at all out of it.  The only thing you can do in CS is install the (OEM) crash bolts up front.  This basically swaps a 14mm bolt with a fat center section to a straight 14mm bolt so you can get a little adjustment out of it.  It isn't much, but every little bit helps.  You'll want as much negative camber up front as you can squeeze out of it.

Other than that, I like slight toe-in at the rear for straight line stability and a slight toe-out up front for better turn-in.  You don't want to get too aggressive with toe as it will chew up your tires very quickly.

For tire width, there are two camps - one being biggest, fattest tire you can fit and the other being size-appropriate for the wheel width.  Our 7" wide wheels don't provide a lot of leeway here regardless of what you choose.  For me, I'm not a fan of a pinched tire.  It balloons the sidewalls and makes the tire taller and less square.  With the absence of camber we're primarily relying on sidewall stiffness.

General consensus from what I've seen is that 225/45-17 is the best compromise of grip, weight, and steering response.  Chris Hammer swears by 235s on a stock twin, and he's a lightning fast driver so I can't rebut that sentiment.  Some people cram 245s on there like you've done also.  It's going to come down to personal preference in the end.

1991 BMW 325i (DSP) - 2015 Scion FR-S (CS)